Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sew Crafty Saturday: Bucket List

 One of my dreams has been to quilt on a long arm machine, and I got to do it this week. It was such a wonderful experience full of broken threads, bobbins that got stuck, and running out of tread at the wrong time. And I loved every moment of it! )Thank you, Rosemary Nixon). The quilt top, bottom, and batting are attached to giant rollers and a regular sewing machine glides over 6 inches of the width at a time. I controlled the machines by holding on to two handles, and following a laser pointer that was shining its light onto the pattern I was sewing. This is a queen sized quilt, and it is by far the largest quilt I have ever made. I completed the top and bottom last summer, and I still have to square it up, and bind it. With the rate I'm going, that will probably happen next summer. I want to use this quilt as a picnic/park blanket for our giant family. I know a lot of quilters who preserve their work and cringe when a quilt they have given to someone is dragged around or thrown in a toy box, but I never want to feel like something is too special for us to use. Using things up brings me such joy!

2 comments:

  1. I am seriously jealous that you got to do this...maybe someday I will win the lottery and buy one! Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing! glad you were able to fulfill a dream.

    ReplyDelete