Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March 30, 2009


A year ago today, and two weeks before she was due to arrive, I called Dan at work and told him he had better come home. It was my Monday off, and Lilly and I had been playing all morning. My contractions were not painful, but they had been steady for hours and getting closer together by the minute. When we arrived at the hospital, the nurse said I didn't look like I was in enough pain to have a baby. After she checked me, she instructed us to walk up and down the short hallway for two hours. I remember thinking, "We should just go back home. I have meat in the fridge that I was going to cook up for dinner. The talent show is this week and I have open house the next week. I'm not planning on having my baby now anyway..." We had gone through this before with this pregnancy. I had contractions throughout the entire 2nd and 3rd trimester, had to go to the emergency room for an iv, and was admitted overnight at 35 weeks. We joked with the nurses every two seconds when we passed their station. They were pretty sure I was going to be able to go home since I wasn't in agony. Yet, when our two hours were up and the nurse checked me again, she said, "Make your calls. You're having a baby tonight." Dan and I were shocked. I was so bummed about missing open house. I wanted to be sure everything was taken care of. Heather finally told me to let go of work, and go have a baby. AND that I did! Iris
Ray-Lynn was gracefully born around 9pm. She was out with one big push and no tearing at all! Dan says it's because of her little head, but I know it's because she loves her mama.
HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY, MY SWEET IRIS. I LOVE YOU SOOOO MUCH. XOXO, MOMMY

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Baby Iris! Love, Avery, Alyssa, Leslie and Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Baby Iris !!! love G'ma and G'pa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Iris! How did the birthday bash go?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Iris....we love you!!

    ReplyDelete