Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wee-Ones Wednesday: Loss






Dan's dad passed away unexpectedly on Monday while Dan was taking Lilly to the dentist. People say that your life can change in an instant, but you never think it will be your life, so it makes no sense when it happens.
We told the girls Tuesday morning that Papa passed away and is in Heaven with Jesus, and we won't be able to see him anymore. Iris cried, "but I want to see Papa." Lilly replied, " We will see him when we get to Heaven."

Dan was gone most of the day helping his Mom make arrangements, so the girls and I went to the market to be able to feed the family. On the way there, we passed Grammy and Papa's street. Iris asked me if we were going to see Papa. I told her, "No... remember, we won't see Papa anymore." Lilly became annoyed with me and said, " Yes, Mom, we will see him in Heaven someday." Then she turned to Iris and said, "Papa will always be with us. We carry him in our hearts. You can't see your heart because your chest is covering it up, but it's inside of you." With tears streaming down my face, hands clutching the wheel, I asked Lilly how she knew that. She said, "Church" in a tone that sounded like DUH!

My mom brought us all dinner last night and when she was leaving Lilly told G.ma that she loved her to Heaven and back. Iris piped up, "Papa is in Heaven." Lilly said, "Yes, Sissy, and if you want to go to Heaven, you have to ask Jesus to be your leader and forgiver. Repeat after me: Dear Jesus, will you be my leader and forgiver?" Iris repeated the words and they both said, "Amen." Stunned silent, I hugged my mom good-bye and shut the door.

Papa taught these girls a lot in the too short time he had with them. He spent nearly four days a week, ten months a year, for five years with these little ladies. The impact he had on their lives was huge. I know Papa is in Heaven right now, chatting up John Wooden. I only grieve the fact that our girls won't have more time with him, and Baby Hendricks will only know about his Papa's greatness through what we tell him. Good thing his sisters have a lot to say!

We love you, Papa! Your presence will be missed every day and we look forward to that day when we will all meet again...

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful papa he was! Lilly is so wise and you should be so proud! Doug will be missed greatly. I am so glad that he was able to spend so much time with his granddaughters while he was here. Our thoughts are prayers are with you. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a hard time typing through my tears... Great post Michelle. We so desperately wish we could be down there now, but are comforted by knowing we will be soon. When I read your anniversary post, I couldn't help but think that I know that Doug's example will live on through Dan and the type of husband and father Doug taught him to be. James was so blessed to witness that example too, and I know Doug's legacy will impact our families forever through our husbands and what they teach our kids. And sweet Lilly... her wisdom and witness is definitely beyond her years. You may have a little pastor in your family too! See you soon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry and saddened. Praying for all of the Michael-Flahertys. Please Give your family love from the Macshanes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was so beautifully written my friend. with tears streaming know that i am constantly thinking about you, dan, ginny, and the girls. and wow, lilly is simply amazing. she truly is gifted. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Grandpas are special people. Dan, you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. -Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love the pictures, the words, and the amazing maturity and faith of Lilly. She is a special kid. Papa would be so proud of all of you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete