Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Wee-Ones Wednesday: Homework



As a teacher, I always like to point out that studies have shown that there is no correlation between homework and academic success, especially in the primary levels. That being said, it has been a tradition in our school system to give and require homework, so I tend to use it to foster responsibility and set up routines.
As a mother, homework is just as much a chore for me as it is for Lilly. She whines and complains like a middle schooler when I tell her it's time to do her homework, which is ironic because she gets it done quickly and then wants to continue to write in her journal or asks Dan to make her math problems. It's like children have this innate ability to not want to do certain things even if they don't really mind doing them at all. Is it just to drive their parents crazy? I think so. I'm sure I complained about it too. Sorry, Mom.
*I also couldn't resist adding what Iris believes is appropriate behavior for homework or "quiet time," as we like to call it. You turn your back for one minute...

3 comments:

  1. is that marker on her eyelids???? omg michelle! hands full!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts on homework. Heather always did hers without anyone asking her to, but Adam resisted as if it was the plague.

    ReplyDelete