Monday, March 25, 2013

Misc. Monday: Unplugged Sundays



 
Yesterday, we had our first "Unplugged Sunday." We did not get on the computer, watch TV, play with Ipads, and kept phone calls and texts to a minimum. My friend Amy did it last week, and we were ready to give it a try. Amy and I are doing the same Bible study, and realized that there are many things in our life that distract us from what is really important. (Without mentioning it to the kids, Dan and I agreed that we would do it for at least four weeks. I am hoping it goes so well, and that we do it forever).
I knew it would be much harder selling this idea to our kids, since they are so much older than Amy's. Dan and I explained the idea of "Unplugged Sundays" to the girls Saturday night after church, and boy was I right! Lilly cried and cried. "No TV all day? What about a bedtime show? What if we only do learning games on the Ipad?" Dan and I gently explained that we would be doing none of those things, so we could spend time focusing on each other. At that, Iris profoundly asked, "What if we watch the show all together on the couch?"
Sunday morning, we made a giant list of over 50 things we could do on "Unplugged Sundays." The girls started to get a little excited. That day, we planted grass seeds into egg shells, had a dance party, read tons of books, and did lots of crafts. Iris and Hendricks took a nap, while Dan and Lilly had a water balloon fight. Dan gave Lilly a guitar lesson. We went for a walk, played in the fairy garden, and worked on Iris' birthday party. Grandma and Grandpa visited, and before we knew it, the day was over! We did it! Lilly actually screamed at one point, "UNPLUGGED SUNDAY ARE THE BEST. CAN WE DO THIS EVERY DAY?" To which I calmly replied, "If we did this every day, it would not be so special." Then we put the kids to bed, and Dan and I turned on the TV.

3 comments:

  1. thought i'd post here - b/c i love comments on my blog! :) i love this idea... i should try this.. but my TV-loving husband might not be too keen on the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I would like to try it....crazy how addicted we all are to our electronics/istuff!

    ReplyDelete