Monday, May 14, 2012

Misc. Monday: Baby Dedication Day


Mother's Day weekend we celebrated Hendricks' baby dedication at church with family and friends.
Some people have asked us why we dedicate our children to the Lord rather than having them baptized. A baby dedication is an opportunity for parents to publicly promise to raise their children in a way that glorifies God and teaches them about the love of Jesus Christ. As babies, our children can not choose Christianity, let alone make the decision to be baptized for themselves. It is our job as parents to foster their faith and pray for them everyday.
Infant baptism is never mentioned in the Bible. Jesus, himself was baptized as an adult along with many others. God calls us to be baptized as a symbol of our love and acceptance of Him. It is a Christian's first act of obedience, and I pray that when my children are ready, they will make the choice to be baptized. I joyfully look forward to that day!

"I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in Him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit."
Romans 15:13

3 comments:

  1. I love the daddy-son plaid picture! And also, how cute is the last picture of him smiling?? I was so happy to be a part of the celebration, we love you baby hendricks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Great pictures, great explanation of baby dedication & baptism. I also love the representation of plaid & the smiley boy picture. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I was raised without a faith and was baptised at 16 of my own accord and I always felt it was more significant being that I chose to be baptised and was thankful my parents had left it to me to make the decision.. this is a lovely way to still celebrate the child at church whilst still giving them the choice.

    ReplyDelete